Fight Club 102c - Know Your Enemy
There's a big difference between justification and motivation. Your justification for doing something is your logical, rational explantion for it. Your motivation is completely different. It's your real reason - your driving force - for doing it. Sometimes they line up, sometimes they don't. If we can understand our enemy's motivation for attacking us, we're really starting to get somewhere.
We know the Devil's a liar and a thief. We know he steals, kills, and destroys. But why? Why does he do what he does?
1. You were created in the image and likeness of God to be like Him and look like Him. When the devil and his cohorts see you, they see God. They see a being created in God's class above them. If they can't overthrow God, they might as well try and overthrow you.
2. Angels were created to serve, not to rule. But Satan said otherwise. He said he would be like God. That he would establish his throne above God's. He wanted to - and still wants - to rule, not be ruled. Angels don't exist just to serve God. Part of their job is to serve you as an heir of salvation. So when those fallen angels see you, the see someone they were meant to serve.
3. God loves you. He loves you so much that when He created you, He brought you out of Himself. You are His child! He gave you of Himself for you to live. Not only that, He gave up His only Son to die for you. What better way to get back at God than to go after His children?
4. The Devil wants you to doubt God or to blame Him for what's going wrong in your life. He wants to steal the Word from you and get between you and God. He wants to separate you from God and steal your faith.
5. Why does any one person bully another? Pain. Some pain that they have experienced, are experiencing, or will experience. The Devil wants to take the pain of his loss and take it out on you. To take the frustration of his helplessness out on you. To make you feel loss and helplessness.
You know, I really feel sorry for a lot of the bullies out there because they're just lashing out due to someone else victimizing them. They just don't know how to deal with it - how to handle it. But the Devil wasn't vicitimized. He put himself in the position he's in by going against God. He will lie to you, cheat you, steal from you, and attempt to destroy or even kill you in his attempt to get back at God. But you don't have to fight him. He's a defeated foe.
The Devil doesn't care if you're saved or not. He really doesn't. All of mankind was created in the image and likeness of God. God loves all of us. The enemy wants to torment you. To harass you. And if he can do it, take you off of this earth. That way he doesn't have to see you and he effectively destroys your ability to share the love of God with others. He knows the plans God has for you - plans to prosper you, to give you something good to expect and a definitive outcome. That punk Devil will do anything and everything he can to mess up God's plans for you. Don't let him. One way to slow him down and for you to stay on the offensive?
Practice the love of God.
Previous entry...                     Next entry...